GM

GM

Saturday 14 December 2013

The Ossobuco

Let’s talk a bit about another Italian “must to eat”, the Ossobuco.

First of all the real name is “ossobuco” and not “ossobucco” as it is ridiculously mentioned in the menus of hundreds fake Italian restaurants, and the meaning is “bone (osso) with e hole (buco).

In fact, after enjoying it, the only thing left in the plate will be a section of the shank bone with a hole, because also the marrow is delicious.

I do the ossobuco with the shank of milk fed veal, cut in 4 generous slices around 400/450 gr.
I marinate the “ossibuchi” (plural) with salt and pepper at least 12 hour in advance, then I dust with flour and I sear them in a pan with oil to get a nice golden colour.

In the meantime, I prepare a sauce with one large carrot, one big white onion, 2 stalks of celery 4 cloves of garlic and one big spoon of chopped rosemary and thyme.
 
I cut the vegetables in dices and, gently, I stir fry them with 1 dl of olive oil, when they are soft, I pour a glass of white wine and after it has evaporated, I add 800 gr. of peeled tomatoes, I let simmering this sauce for 30 minutes and I transfer it in a deep oven tray with the “ossibuchi” as well,  I cover with a double layer of aluminium foil searing carefully the edge of the tray and finally I bake them in the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes by 140 *C.
 
Normally the ossobuco is served with the “gremolata” which is mix of chopped garlic, lemon zest and parsley, but I prefer to swap to 2 spoons of chopped Italian parsley and orange zest and I add them to the sauce when is still hot. This mix will release the essential oils giving a superb taste and smell to the dish.
The ossobuco is a stew and can be served with polenta, potato or whatever please the mood, but the perfect marriage is the risotto with saffron as for the Milanese tradition requests.
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment